This is the first week of our Tough Topics series. Unfortunately, I (Katie) have thrown out my back, so we will have a little delay in diving into the tough topics we have planned.
This week Erik Karlsrud will be laying the groundwork for the series, but we will save the topic of racism for next week. The scripture passage for tonight is Matthew 25:31-40. Two big questions we will look at tonight are: Why are we talking about these (sometimes) controversial topics? Does God care about this stuff?
Each week we will also remind students of three facts and make 3 promises to each other. Here are the facts that I will be drawing students back to each week:
Fact 1 – We are all human
Fact 2 – Humans are made in the image of God (Genesis 1:26)
Fact 3 – NOTHING can change or take away your humanity or separate you from the love of God. (Romans 8:38-39)
I will also be asking them to promise these things to each other:
1 – We will listen to each other’s stories and experiences with respect and without judgement.
2 – We will seek to learn from each other, not to change each other.
3 – We will be open to how God may be calling us to engage in these areas
I look forward to the conversations we will be having and diving into these tough topics!
At-home follow-up questions for this week:
- What were the facts and promises that you talked about? What do you think about them?
- Is it possible to have a different opinion than someone and still respect them?
- What might a positive relationship with someone of a differing opinion look like?
- Can we identify marginalized people/people groups in our community?
- How do we (as parents, teens, and as a family) serve “the least of these” in our community and globally?
Director of Student Ministries
(925) 685-4673 ext15